The Identification Bureau is a part of the Detective Bureau and is tasked with crime scene forensics, evidence collection, Megan’s Law and firearms registration.
TO APPLY FOR A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD OR HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT:
1. Click here and complete the Firearms Application & Registry System (FARS) from NJSP. IMPORTANT: The first page of the application will ask for the "ORI Number" for the local agency, please enter NJ0133400 in this fill-in.
TO APPLY FOR AN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CONTROL (ABC) IDENTIFICATION CARD:
- Read and Complete the Instructions and Application Form and Ordinance #17-04.
- If you have previously been fingerprinted by another agency or if you are renewing your card, use this form. IMPORTANT: The "ORI" number for the Neptune Township Police Department is NJ0133400, and must be entered correctly at the beginning of the application portal.
- If this is the first time you will be fingerprinted, use this form.
TO TRANSFER A LONG GUN (SHOTGUN OR RIFLE) TO ANOTHER PERSON:
- Complete the “Certificate of Eligibility” form for transfers to a family member only. For all other transfers of long guns, you must contact a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer.
TO REGISTER A FIREARM IN NEW JERSEY:
- Complete THREE (3) “Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration” forms
Questions regarding Identification Bureau can be directed to:
(732) 988-8000 ext. 427